Pre-Med Q&ACategory: Scheduling and Classestransfer-credit-for-medical-school-apps
AvatarDhanya Sethuraman asked 3 weeks ago

If I were to take Physics 140/141 at a different college that is transferable, how would I know if medical schools accept credit for it? Are there any catches I should know with being  premed and taking courses elsewhere when it comes to applying to med school? 

1 Answers
AvatarRaheem Ahmed answered 2 weeks ago

Hi Dhanya,
I hope you are doing well! If you are able to find and take a PHYSICS 140/141 equivalent at a different institution that transfers back to UMich, these two would most likely count towards the Physics 1 requirement for medical school. However, the only potential problem is that some medical schools require that prerequisite courses be taken at a four-year institution as opposed to a two-year institution. So, I would recommend doing some light research and looking at some of your potential schools of choice to see if they require the courses to not be taken at a community college. If a good chunk of your school list requires the course to be taken at a four-year university, I would recommend taking it at one. But, if most of your schools do not state this requirement, you should be able to take it at a community college. 
I hope this helps! Feel free to stop by our advising hours (on Sunday – Wednesday from 6 – 10 PM) if you have any further questions!
Raheem, PMH Co-President

Your Answer

11 + 5 =