I’m currently an undergraduate student going the pre-med route and majoring in psychology, and was looking to get clinical care/experience over this summer. I’ve tried contacting several clinics, but have been unsuccessful. Are there any resources or positions that could help me?
Below are a few options for clinical care for you to look into:
Medical Scribe: transcribe information during clinical visits into electronic health records under physician supervision
- Not sure if you are staying in Ann Arbor over the summer, but this website also gives options in other states
- Depending on where you’re planning on living this summer, I would reach out to any urgent care/minute clinics or even your local physician’s office. I know I got my MA job through my Dermatologist, which was great and I was trained within a few weeks.
- It is not required in Michigan to have a Medical Assistant certification. However, if you’re looking to do a program, here is a link where you can look up programs by zip code: https://medassisting.org/mi/
Phlebotomist: draw blood from patients
- This will probably require some training, but Michigan medicine has a nice outpatient phlebotomy center
- Here is the link to apply: https://www.umhscareers.org
I hope this helps!
Miranda, PMH Advisor